Wednesday 19 January 2011

Sticky toffee pudding with custard


Sticky toffee pudding and custard - don't those words just make you drool? Surely it can't just be me?

Last week was cold, wet and miserable. The fun and frivolity of Christmas/Hogmanay seems a long way away and January seems to take forever to be over, and is always a little grim. What I needed was some comfort food. A hug in cupcake form.


I have made sticky toffee cupcakes with caramel frosting before so the cake was a doddle for me. I really love this recipe. I could make it over and over, and eat it again and again. Till I popped.

The cake once again came out sticky and date'y and just scrumptious. There is no other word for it - scrumptious sums it up fully.

I used the Love Bakery custard frosting recipe I had previously topped my rhubarb and custard cupcakes with.  I added the specified amount of custard and it just didn't taste custardy enough, so I added more. And some more vanilla as I like my custard to be full of vanilla goodness. Alas I added a smidgen too much custard and the frosting was a little wetter than I'd have liked - it tasted fabulous but didn't pipe so well.


The cakes kept well for 3 days, the flavour maturing in the cupcake over time and the base remained moist until they were all gone.

10 comments:

Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com said...

sounds tasty. I can feel the calories go straight to my hips thinking about them ;-)

Archies Mum said...

Mmm they sound absolutely gorgeous, especially the custard piping

meemalee said...

Good god these sound good.

Could you bake them so there was a gooey caramel centre? That would make them even more rocking.

(I don't understand cakes).

The Caked Crusader said...

I'll keep this brief in case my drool short circuits my computer! What a combination - I must try that buttercream. I think Mr CC would take custard intravenously if he could so these will be a winner!

Manny said...

These were delicious, ultra moist and so packed with flavour. I love sticky toffee pudding and custard and you got the full taste into a cupcake - genius :)

Baking Addict said...

Sounds like an excellent pairing. I've not gotten round to the rhubarb and custard cupcakes yet.

chow and chatter said...

wow love this as a Brit in the US this flavor reminds me of home Rebecca

cocoa and coconut said...

Hi there,
I just found your blog and I'm really pleased. This is such a wonderful recipe...caramel frosting may just be the death of me (I can't resist it!)

Domestic Goddess Wannabe said...

Your cakes always look so pretty!

I heart cupcakes said...

@Les Reves - thank you! If you bake it I really hope you like it!

@DGW - thank you so much - it's taken me a lot of practice to be able to pipe!